- Business-News 2015:
November 24th 2015:
- Microsemi Corporation and PMC-Sierra, Inc. (PMC®) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Microsemi will acquire PMC for $9.22 in cash and 0.0771 of a share of Microsemi common stock for each share of PMC common stock through an exchange offer. The transaction is valued at approximately $2.5 billion and represents a 77.4 percent percent premium to the closing price of PMC's stock as of Sept. 30, 2015.
November 24th 2015:
- Silicon Labs has announced the acquisition of Telegesis Ltd, a supplier of wireless mesh networking modules based on Silicon Labs' market-leading ZigBee® technology. A privately held company founded in 1998 and based near London, Telegesis has established itself as a ZigBee expert with strong momentum in the smart energy market, providing ZigBee module solutions to many of the world's top smart metering manufacturers.
Silicon Labs completed the acquisition of Telegesis on November 20, 2015, for a cash purchase price of approximately US$20 million.
November 18th 2015:
- ON Semiconductor and Fairchild Semiconductor International Inc. today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement for ON Semiconductor to acquire Fairchild for $20.00 per share in an all cash transaction valued at approximately $2.4 billion.
As part of ON Semiconductor, Fairchild will continue to pioneer technology and design innovation in efficient energy consumption.
October 21st, 2015:
- Western Digital® Corporation and SanDisk Corporation today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Western Digital will acquire all of the outstanding shares of SanDisk for a combination of cash and stock. The offer values SanDisk common stock at $86.50 per share or a total equity value of approximately $19 billion, using a five-day volume weighted average price ending on October 20, 2015 of $79.60 per share of Western Digital common stock. If the previously announced investment in Western Digital by Unisplendour Corporation Limited closes prior to this acquisition, Western Digital will pay $85.10 per share in cash and 0.0176 shares of Western Digital common stock per share of SanDisk common stock; and if the Unisplendour transaction has not closed or has been terminated, $67.50 in cash and 0.2387 shares of Western Digital common stock per share of SanDisk common stock. The transaction has been approved by the boards of directors of both companies.
Toshiba has been a long-term strategic partner to SanDisk for 15 years. The joint venture (JV) with Toshiba will be ongoing, enabling vertical integration through a technology partnership driven by deep collaboration across design and process capabilities. The JV provides stable NAND supply at scale through a time-tested business model and extends across NVM technologies such as 3D NAND, Western Digital announced.
October 19th, 2015:
- On Semiconductor has acquired Axsem AG (Duebendorf, Switzerland), a vendor of sub-gigahertz radio chips, for an undisclosed sum.
October 13th, 2015:
- On October 12th, 2015, VeriSilicon Holdings Co. Ltd. and Vivante Corporation announced a definitive merger agreement under which the companies will be combined in an all-stock transaction. The combined company, to be called VeriSilicon Holdings Co. Ltd., will offer robust IP-centric, platform-based custom silicon solutions and end-to-end semiconductor turnkey services.
Deal terms were not disclosed.
October 12th, 2015:
- On October 8th, 2015, Sony Corporation announced that it has completed the acquisition of Softkinetic Systems S.A., after reaching an agreement with the company and its major shareholders. With this acquisition, Softkinetic - which possesses time-of-flight ("ToF") range image sensor technology, as well as related systems and software - has become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony.
Deal terms were not disclosed.
October 7th, 2015:
- Skyworks Solutions, Inc. and PMC-Sierra, Inc. announced on October 5th, 2015, a definitive agreement under which Skyworks will acquire PMC for $10.50 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $2 billion. This acquisition solidifies Skyworks' position as a highly diversified analog, RF and mixed signal semiconductor leader by significantly expanding its product portfolio, customer base and end market applications. Upon completion of the acquisition, Skyworks expects annual revenues of more than $4 billion with gross margin in the 55 percent range and operating margin exceeding 40 percent.
Update (November 24th, 2015): Skyworks Solutions Inc. (Woburn, Mass.) has announced that its agreement to acquire PMC-Sierra has been terminated and that it is entitled to an $88.5 million termination fee from PMC.
October 2nd, 2015:
- On September 3oth, 2015, Mellanox® Technologies, Ltd., a supplier of end-to-end interconnect solutions for servers and storage systems, and EZchip Technologies, a supplier of high-performance processing solutions for carrier and data center networks, announced that they have entered into a definitive merger agreement under which Mellanox shall acquire 100 percent of EZchip's outstanding ordinary shares for a cash purchase price of $25.5 per share implying a transaction value of approximately $811 million (approximately $620 million net of cash). The terms of the transaction have been unanimously approved by both the Mellanox and EZchip Boards of Directors.
September 20th, 2015:
Dialog Semiconductor and Atmel Corporation announced today that Dialog has agreed to acquire Atmel in a cash and stock transaction for total consideration of approximately $4.6billion. The acquisition creates a global leader in both Power Management and Embedded Processing solutions. The transaction results in a fast growing and innovative powerhouse, supporting Mobile Power, IoT and Automotive customers. The combined company will address an attractive, fast growing market opportunity of approximately $20 billion by 2019.
September 15th, 2015:
- Freescale Semiconductor has acquired Ottawa-based image cognition IP developer CogniVue.
According to Bob Conrad, general manager of Freescale's Automotive MCU group, the acquisition places Freescale in a position to supply highly automated car applications with the requisite performance, safety, security and reliability those systems require.
Deal terms were not disclosed.
September 8th, 2015:
- Intersil Corporation, a provider of innovative power management and precision analog solutions, announced the acquisition of Great Wall Semiconductor (GWS), a private technology company developing state-of-the-art power metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) technology for cloud computing, space and consumer applications.
Intersil acquired GWS for initial cash consideration of $19 million, with up to $4 million additional cash consideration based on the achievement of post-closing business metrics through 2016. The acquisition is expected to be neutral to 2015 non-GAAP earnings.
September 4th, 2015:
- Diodes Inc. of Texas bought Milton Keynes analogue and mixed signal company Pericom Semiconductor.
The price is said to be about $400m, including the company's cash.
September 3rd, 2015:
- LED manufacturer Cree Inc. announced that the company's power and RF division has been re-branded as Wolfspeed.
The company announced in May that it would separate Wolfspeed into a standalone company.
July 28th, 2015:
- ams AG, a provider of high performance sensors and analog ICs, announced today that the company has acquired the CMOS Sensor Business from NXP Semiconductors. The acquisition expands ams’ environmental sensor portfolio with advanced monolithic and integrated CMOS sensors that measure several environmental variables such as relative humidity, pressure and temperature in one sensor device.
Deal terms were not disclosed.
July 23rd, 2015:
- ROHM Co., Ltd., announced today that it has completed the acquisition of Powervation Ltd., a privately held digital power IC company that develops Digital Power Management system-on-chip (SoC) solutions for approximately $70M, in an all-cash transaction.
July 16th, 2015:
- Autoliv, Inc., the worldwide leader in automotive safety systems announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the automotive business of M/A-COM Technology Solutions Holdings, Inc.
The Automotive Solutions business that Autoliv intends to acquire is a carve-out of the automotive business of MACOM, a leading supplier of high-performance analog RF, microwave, millimeterwave and photonic semiconductor products.
The Automotive Solutions business of MACOM is a supplier of integrated, embedded Global Positioning System (GPS) modules to the automotive industry. Based in Lowell, Massachusetts, USA, the business includes 25 technical, commercial and manufacturing support employees focused on the design, development and production of GPS modules. The 2015 annual revenue estimate is to be around $90 million and this transaction is expected to be accretive to Autotliv margins upon closing.
Other technologies and intellectual property included in the transaction are various Radio Frequency (RF) and antenna products (hardware and software) and Electronic Horizon, which is an advanced driver assistance system connecting navigation and GPS data to improve safety, fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.
July 13th, 2015:
- Business Weekly reported on July 6th that Qualcomm Inc. has paid around $50 million for Cambridge based Nujira Limited. Tim Haynes, the CEO, and a number of other staff have left the company. For more information please click here.
July 1st, 2015:
- On June 29th, 2015, Synopsys, Inc. announced that it has acquired Elliptic Technologies, a provider of security IP cores and software solutions for mobile, automotive, digital home, Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing applications.
June 1st, 2015:
- Intel and Altera announced on June 1st, 2015 that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Intel would acquire Altera for $54 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $16.7 billion.
May 28th, 2015:
- Avago Technologies Limited and Broadcom Corporation today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Avago will acquire Broadcom in a cash and stock transaction that values the combined company at $77 billion in enterprise value.
May 8th, 2015:
- Microchip Technology Incorporated, a provider of microcontroller, mixed-signal, analog and Flash-IP solutions,
and Micrel Incorporated announced on May 7th, 2015, that Microchip has signed a definitive
agreement to acquire Micrel for $14.00 per share. Micrel shareholders may elect to receive the purchase
price in either cash or shares of Microchip common stock. The acquisition price represents a total equity
value of about $839 million, and a total enterprise value of about $744 million, after excluding Micrel's
cash and investments on its balance sheet of approximately $95 million. This represents a premium to
Micrel's closing stock price as of May 6, 2015 of 3% and a 30% premium to Micrel's closing stock price
on August 7, 2014, the day Starboard Value LP disclosed a 12.0% interest in Micrel in a Schedule 13D
filing with the SEC.
May 7th, 2015:
- Knowles Corporation, a supplier of micro-acoustic solutions and specialty components, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Audience, Inc.
Under the terms of the transaction, Knowles will pay approximately $5.00 per share, comprised of $2.50 in cash and $2.50 in Knowles common stock. The transaction values Audience at an enterprise value of approximately $85 million, net of Audience's cash balance of $44 million as of March 31, 2015.
April 24th, 2015:
- Ohmite Manufacturing Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heico Company, LLC, has acquired Arcol UK, Ltd of Truro, England, a manufacturer of an excellent power resistor product line. Arcol UK, Ltd, founded in the 1952, was acquired by Mike Pritchard and Alun Morgan in 1992 and has grown by offering outstanding quality products and on-time delivery.
March 18th, 2015:
- Microsemi Corporation, a provider of semiconductor solutions differentiated by power, security, reliability and performance, and Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation, jointly announced today that Microsemi has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Vitesse for $5.28 per share through a cash tender offer, representing a premium of 32 percent based on the average closing price of Vitesse's shares of common stock during the 30 trading days ended March 17th, 2015. The board of directors of Vitesse unanimously recommends that Vitesse's stockholders tender their shares in the tender offer. The total transaction value is approximately $389 million.
March 3rd, 2015:
- On March 1st 2015, system LSI businesses of Fujitsu Limited and Panasonic Corporation have been consolidated and transferred to Socionext Inc.
March 2nd, 2015:
- NXP Semiconductors N.V. and Freescale Semiconductor, Ltd. today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which NXP will merge with Freescale in a transaction which values the combined enterprise at just over $40 billion1. The merger creates a high performance mixed signal semiconductor industry leader, with combined revenue of greater than $10 billion. The merged entity will become the market leader in automotive semiconductor solutions and the market leader in general purpose microcontroller (MCU) products. The combined company will capitalize on the growing opportunities created by the accelerating demand for security, connectivity and processing.
Under the terms of the agreement, Freescale shareholders will receive $6.25 in cash and 0.3521 of an NXP ordinary share for each Freescale common share held at the close of the transaction. The purchase price implies a total equity value for Freescale of approximately $11.8 billion (based on NXP's closing stock price as of February 27, 2015) and a total enterprise value of approximately $16.7 billion including Freescale's net debt.
February 21st, 2015:
- Molex Incorporated, a global interconnect and cable assembly provider, announced that it and certain of its affiliates have acquired SDP Telecom. Headquartered in Montreal, Canada, SDP designs and manufactures RF/microwave solutions for the wireless communications industry.
In addition to its Montreal, Canada headquarters, SDP has manufacturing facilities in China. SDP will be managed by the RF/Microwave Business Unit that is part of Molex's Global Integrated Products Division.
Deal terms were not disclosed.
February 7th, 2015:
- On January 30th, 2015 it was announced that Illinois Capacitor Inc., and its affiliates have been acquired by Cornell Dubilier Marketing, Inc. This acquisition brings together two of the leading manufacturers of capacitors for the electronics marketplace. For the foreseeable future, Illinois Capacitor will operate as a separate subsidiary of Cornell Dubilier, and will continue to be headquartered in suburban Chicago. Its Asian headquarters will remain in Hong Kong. Deal terms were not disclosed.
February 5th, 2015:
- Silicon Laboratories Inc. [Silicon Labs] announced on February 3rd, 2015, the acquisition of Bluegiga Technologies Oy. A privately held company based in Espoo, Finland, Bluegiga is one of the fastest growing independent providers of short-range wireless connectivity solutions and software for the IoT. Bluegiga's wireless portfolio includes ultra-low-power Bluetooth® Smart, Bluetooth Classic, and Wi-Fi® modules, as well as software stacks, development tools and software development kits (SDKs) for a multitude of applications in the industrial automation, consumer electronics, audio, automotive, retail, residential, and health and fitness markets.
Silicon Labs completed the acquisition of Bluegiga Technologies Oy on January 30, 2015. Under the agreement, Bluegiga investors received approximately $61 million in cash. The acquisition was funded from Silicon Labs' balance sheet cash resources and required no borrowing. Bluegiga is expected to contribute approximately $25 million to $28 million in revenue in 2015, and Silicon Labs expects the acquisition to be accretive to 2015 non-GAAP earnings. Additional financial details and guidance will be provided in Silicon Labs' fourth quarter earnings call scheduled for February 4, 2015.
February 2nd, 2015:
- Intel Corporation has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Lantiq, a supplier of broadband access and home networking technologies. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals. The transaction is expected to close in approximately 90 days. Deal terms were not disclosed.
January 27th, 2015:
- Lattice Semiconductor Corporation and Silicon Image, Inc. announced that they have signed a definitive agreement, pursuant to which Lattice will acquire Silicon Image in an all-cash tender offer of $7.30 per share, representing an equity value of approximately $600 million (or approximately $450 million on an enterprise value basis) and a 34.6% premium to the average closing price over the last 90 trading days and a 23.7% premium to the closing price on January 26th.
Archived News Pages:
Sorry, because of a major crash we lost the News Files from July 21 2005 until February 1 2007. We couldn't recover the datafiles.